This topic describes the tasks involved in setting up your Data Management for VMware Tanzu deployment on VMware vSphere.
Certain deployment tasks are performed by the Provider Administrator, others by an Organization Administrator. Some tasks are performed in vCenter, while others are performed in the Data Management for VMware Tanzu console.
Meet the Hardware and Software Requirements.
Review High Availability concepts, and determine if you want to deploy the Provider in HA mode.
Provider Administrator Tasks
The Provider Administrator performs the following tasks to deploy and configure the Data Management for VMware Tanzu service control plane:
- Deploy the Provider VM Using a vSphere Client.
- Configure the Provider VM in the Data Management for VMware Tanzu console. Tasks include:
- Creating an organization.
- Choosing a user identity source and configuring an Organization Administrator user.
- Configuring object storage repositories and Tanzu Network settings.
- Defining an instance plan.
- Publishing a database template.
- After the Provider VM is successfully deployed and configured, communicate the following information to the Organization Administrator:
- The Data Management for VMware Tanzu Provider VM IP address.
- The console credentials (Local or LDAP) for this user.
Organization Administrator Tasks
The Organization Administrator performs the following tasks to deploy and onboard an Agent with Data Management for VMware Tanzu:
- Deploy an Agent VM Using a vSphere Client.
- Prepare to Onboard an Agent.
- Onboard an Agent with Data Management for VMware Tanzu.
Refer to Configuring Provider High Availability if you want to deploy the Provider in High Availability mode.
After both the Provider VM and an Agent VM are deployed and an Agent has been onboarded with Data Management for VMware Tanzu, the service is available for Organization users to provision a database.