Services Toolkit caters to the following user roles, which can be considered groupings of jobs to be done. Each role can be carried out by the same or alternatively by different people, and each individual person can play more than one role.
Service Author (SA)
- Responsible for the development and release of Kubernetes Operators and their Service Resource Lifecycle APIs.
- May optionally provide recommendations regarding configuration of Service Resources (e.g. production-ready configuration provided by the RabbitMQ Cluster Operator SAs here).
Service Operator (SO)
- Responsible for the installation, operation and ongoing maintenance of one or more Kubernetes Operators providing Service Resource Lifecycle APIs.
- Responsible for offering out Service Resource Lifecycle APIs and making them available to Application Operators and Developers.
- Lifecycle management (Create, Read, Update, Delete) of Service Instances
- Lifecycle management (Create, Read, Update, Delete) of Resource Claim Policies
Application Operator (AO)
- Discover Service Resource Lifecycle APIs and assesses their capabilities through provided metadata.
- Make decisions about which APIs to consume, taking into consideration the needs of the Application (e.g. QoS, persistence, HA, etc.).
- Lifecycle management (Create, Read, Update, Delete) of Resource Claims
Application Developer (AD)
- Lifecycle management (Create, Read, Update, Delete) of Application Workloads
- Binding Application Workloads to Service Instances