The Services Toolkit considers the following user roles, which are groupings of jobs to be done. Each role can be carried out by the same or different people, and each individual can play more than one role.
Service Author (SA)
- They are responsible for the development and release of Service Resource Lifecycle APIs.
- They may optionally provide recommendations for the configuration of Service Resources (e.g. production-ready configuration provided by the rabbitmq cluster-operator SAs here).
Platform Operator (PO)
- They provide the platform (including Application Workload and Services clusters) that the other roles listed here will utilise.
Service Operator (SO)
- They are responsible for the installation, operation and ongoing maintenance of one or more Service Resource Lifecycle APIs.
- They are also responsible for offering out these Service Resource Lifecycle APIs and making them available to Application Operators.
- They will primarily interact with Service Clusters.
Application Operator (AO)
- They discover Service Resource Lifecycle APIs and assesses their capabilities through the provided metadata.
- They make decisions about which API to consume, taking into consideration the needs of the Application Developer (e.g. QoS, persistence, HA, etc.).
- They will use the corresponding Service Resource Lifecycle API to Create, Read, Update, and Delete Service Resources and Service Instances.
- They then make Service Endpoints available to Application Developers.
- They will primarily interact with Application Workload Clusters.
Application Developer (AD)
- They are responsible for developing Application Workloads.
- They ensure the successful-running of such workloads.