You can edit the protection properties of any virtual machine or template in a protection group. You can change the resource mappings, attached storage devices and their datastores, and other properties that control the configuration with which Site Recovery Manager recovers the virtual machine.
About this task
You must configure protection for virtual machines that have a status of Not Configured or Mapping Missing.
If you are using array-based replication, editing the properties of a virtual machine to add or change storage devices, such as hard disks or DVD drives, can affect the protection of that machine if the device that you add is stored on a datastore that is not replicated, or that is protected by a different protection group.
If the new device is created on a replicated datastore that is not part of any protection group, the datastore is added to the virtual machine's protected datastore group and the protection of the virtual machine is unaffected.
If the new device is created on a replicated datastore that is protected by a different protection group, this invalidates the protection of the virtual machine.
If the new device is created on a nonreplicated datastore, this invalidates the protection of the virtual machine.
If you use Storage vMotion to move a virtual machine to a nonreplicated datastore, or to a replicated datastore on an array that Site Recovery Manager has not been configured to manage (through an SRA), this invalidates the protection of the virtual machine. You can use Storage vMotion to move a virtual machine to datastore that is part of another protection group.
- Click Protection Groups in the Site Recovery Manager interface and select the protection group that includes the virtual machine to configure.
- On the Virtual Machines tab, right-click a virtual machine and select Configure Protection.
- In the Virtual Machine Properties window, review and configure properties as needed.
- Click Folder to specify an alternate destination folder.
- Click Recovery Pool to specify an alternate resource pool in which to place the recovered virtual machine.
- If configuring protection for a template, click Recovery Host to specify an alternate host to which to recover the virtual machine.
This step only applies to templates.
- Click Network to specify an alternate recovery network to which to restore the virtual machine.
- Click OK to apply the new configuration to the selected virtual machine.