You can use the DR IP Customizer tool to customize the IP properties for multiple virtual machines that Site Recovery Manager protects.
About this task
This release of Site Recovery Manager allows you to define subnet-level IP mapping rules to customize IP settings on virtual machines, as well as by using the DR IP Customizer tool. You can use subnet-level IP mapping rules in combination with DR IP Customizer. For information about how you can use subnet-level IP mapping rules and DR IP Customizer together, see Customizing IP Properties for Multiple Virtual Machines.
Use the DR IP Customizer tool on a computer with access to vCenter Server instances in your environment.
- Open a command shell on the Site Recovery Manager Server host.
- Change directory to C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin.
- Run the dr-ip-customizer.exe command to generate a comma-separated value (CSV) file that contains information about the protected virtual machines.
dr-ip-customizer.exe --cfg ..\config\vmware-dr.xml --cmd generate --out "path_to_CSV_file.csv" --vc vcenter_server_address
This example points dr-ip-customizer.exe to the vmware-dr.xml file of the Site Recovery Manager Server and generates the file path_to_CSV_file.csv for the vCenter Server instance at vcenter_server_address.
- (Optional) Check the vCenter Server thumbprint and enter y to confirm that you trust this vCenter Server instance.
If you specified the --ignore-thumbprint option, you are not prompted to check the thumbprint.
- Enter the login credentials for the vCenter Server instance.
You might be prompted again to confirm that you trust this vCenter Server instance.
- Edit the generated CSV file to customize the IP properties for the virtual machines in the recovery plan.
You can use a spread sheet application to edit the CSV file. Save the modified CSV file under a new name.
- Run dr-ip-customizer.exe to apply the customized IP properties from the modified CSV file.
You can run the DR IP Customizer tool on either the protected site or on the recovery site. Virtual machine IDs for protected virtual machines are different at each site, so whichever site you use when you run the DR IP Customizer tool to generate the CSV file, you must use the same site when you run DR IP Customizer again to apply the settings.
dr-ip-customizer.exe --cfg ..\config\vmware-dr.xml --cmd apply --csv "path_to_CSV_file.csv" --vc vcenter_server_address
This example points dr-ip-customizer.exe to the vmware-dr.xml file of the Site Recovery Manager Server and applies the customizations in the file path_to_CSV_file.csv to the vCenter Server instance at vcenter_server_address.
The specified customizations are applied to all of the virtual machines named in the CSV file during a recovery. You do not need to manually configure IP settings for these machines when you edit their recovery plan properties.