You can create custom recovery steps to prompt users to perform tasks or for Site Recovery Manager to perform tasks on a virtual machine before or after Site Recovery Manager powers it on.
About this task
Site Recovery Manager associates command steps with a protected or recovered virtual machine in the same way as customization information. If multiple recovery plans contain the same virtual machine, Site Recovery Manager includes the commands and prompts in all of the recovery plans .
- In the vSphere Web Client, select , and select a recovery plan.
- On the Related Objects tab, click Virtual Machines.
- Right-click a virtual machine and click Configure Recovery.
- On the Recovery Properties tab, click Pre-Power On Steps or Post-Power On Steps.
- Click the plus icon to add a step.
- Select the type of step to create.
Prompts users to perform a task or to provide information that the user must acknowledge before the plan continues to the next step. This option is available for both pre-power on steps and post-power on steps.
Command on SRM Server
Runs a command on Site Recovery Manager Server. This option is available for both pre-power on steps and post-power on steps.
Command on Recovered VM
Runs a command on the recovered virtual machine. This option is only available for post-power on steps.
- In the Name text box, enter a name for the step.
The step name appears in the list of steps in the Recovery Steps view.
- In the Content text box, enter a command, script, or message prompt.
If you selected Command on SRM Server or Command on Recovered VM, enter the command or script to run.
If you selected Prompt, enter the text of the message to display during the recovery plan run.
- (Optional) Modify the Timeout setting for the command to run on Site Recovery Manager Server.
This option is not available if you create a prompt step.
- Click OK to add the step to the recovery plan.
- Click OK to reconfigure the virtual machine to run the command before or after it powers on.