You can configure the mappings for the virtual machines in an array-based or vSphere Replication protection group individually. This ability allows you to use different resources on the recovery site for different virtual machines.
About this task
Site Recovery Manager applies site-wide inventory mappings to virtual machines in storage policy protection groups when you run a recovery plan. You cannot configure individual mappings on virtual machines in storage policy protection groups. This information only applies to array-based replication and vSphere Replication protection groups.
You can configure individual inventory mappings on virtual machines in an array-based or vSphere Replication protection group even if you configured site-wide inventory mappings. If you did configure site-wide inventory mappings, you can remove protection from an individual virtual machine and configure the folder and resource mappings to override the site-wide mappings. You can change the network mapping for an individual virtual machine without removing protection.
You cannot specify placeholder datastores for individual virtual machines. You must map datastores on the protected site to placeholder datastores on the recovery site at the site level. To configure a placeholder datastore, see Select a Placeholder Datastore.
You created an array-based or vSphere Replication protection group.
- In the vSphere Web Client, click .
- Select the protection group that includes the virtual machine to configure.
- On the Related Objects tab, click the Virtual Machines tab.
- Right-click the virtual machine and select Configure Protection.
- Configure inventory mappings by expanding the resources whose status is Not Configured and selecting resources on the recovery site.
You can only change the folder, resource pool, and network mappings.
- (Optional) : To apply these mappings to all protected virtual machines on the site, select the Save as Inventory Mapping check box for each resource.
If you do not select the check box, the mapping is only applied to this virtual machine.
- Click OK.
If Site Recovery Manager successfully applied inventory mappings to the virtual machine, the status of the virtual machine is OK.
If Site Recovery Manager was unable to apply some or all of the inventory mappings, the status of the virtual machine is Not Configured or Mapping Missing.
If Site Recovery Manager applied the inventory mappings but was unable to create a placeholder virtual machine, the status of the virtual machine is Placeholder VM creation error.
- (Optional) : If the status of the virtual machine is Not Configured or Mapping Missing, select Configure Protection again and check the inventory mappings.
- (Optional) : If the status of the virtual machine is Placeholder VM creation error, check the placeholder datastore mapping at the site level, right-click the virtual machine, and select Recreate Placeholder.