vSphere vMotion migration of a virtual machine is available only for a planned migration. You can enable or disable vSphere vMotion from the Recovery Properties dialog.
- Before performing a vSphere vMotion migration, confirm that the VM belongs to a storage policy protection group, is placed on stretched storage, and is powered on.
- Ensure that you have configured full inventory mappings. If you have only configured temporary placeholder inventory mappings and you run a planned migration with the Enable vMotion of eligible VMs option, planned migration fails, even though both sites are running.
- In the vSphere Web Client, select , and select a recovery plan.
- On the Related Objects tab, click Virtual Machines.
- Right-click a virtual machine and select Configure Recovery.
Select Use vMotion for planned migration (VM should be powered on).
- Click OK.
There is no power cycle during the planned migration. Configured shutdown or startup actions or steps configured before power on are ignored. Steps configured after power on are executed.