You can protect and recover encrypted VMs by using a Storage Policy Protection Group (SPPG).
About this task
After you create a storage policy, you must edit the rule set of your storage policy by using the following procedure.
Complete the prerequisites in Prerequisites for Storage Policy Protection Groups
Ensure that the recovery and protected sites use a common Key Management Server (KMS) or that the Key Management Server clusters at both sites use common encryption keys. For information about how to set up a Key Management Server cluster, see the VMware vSphere ESXi and vCenter Server 6.5 documentation.
- On the Rule set page of the VM Storage Policy wizard, select Use rule-sets in the storage policy and ensure that the Tag based replacement option is selected for the Storage Type.
- Click <Add rule> and click Tags from category.
- In the <Select category>, click your category.
- Ensure that Tagged with any one of … is selected for Tags from category.
- Click Add tags… and select your tag.
What to do next
Create a storage policy mapping and ensure that the storage policy on the recovery site is the same as the policy on the protected site. For information about how to create a storage policy mapping, see Select Storage Policy Mappings
Create a storage policy protection group. For information about how to create a storage policy protection group, see Create Protection Groups.