You can configure how a virtual machine starts up and shuts down on the recovery site during a recovery.
You can configure whether to shut down the guest operating system of a virtual machine before it powers off on the protected site. You can configure whether to power on a virtual machine on the recovery site. You can also configure delays after powering on a virtual machine to allow VMware Tools or other applications to start on the recovered virtual machine before the recovery plan continues.
- In the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client, click .
- On the Site Recovery home tab, select a site pair, and click View Details.
- Click the Recovery Plans tab, click a recovery plan, and click Virtual Machines.
- Right-click a virtual machine and click Configure Recovery.
- Expand Shutdown Action and select the shutdown method for this virtual machine.
Option Description Shutdown guest OS before power off Gracefully shuts down the virtual machine before powering it off. You can set a timeout period for the shutdown operation. Setting the timeout period to 0 is equivalent to the Power off option. This option requires that VMware Tools are running on the virtual machine.Note: The virtual machine powers off when the timeout expires. If the OS of the virtual machine has not completed its shutdown tasks when the timeout expires, data loss might result. For a large virtual machine that requires a long time to shut down gracefully, set an appropriately long power-off timeout. Power off Powers off the virtual machine without shutting down the guest operating system.
- Expand Startup Action and select whether to power on the virtual machine after a recovery.
Option Description Power on Powers on the virtual machine on the recovery site. Do not power on Recovers the virtual machine but does not power it on.
- (Optional) Select or deselect the Wait for VMware tools check box.
This option is only available if you selected Power on in Step 6.If you select Wait for VMware tools, Site Recovery Manager waits until VMware Tools starts after powering on the virtual machine before the recovery plan continues to the next step. You can set a timeout period for VMware Tools to start.
- (Optional) Select or deselect the Additional Delay before running Post Power On steps and starting dependent VMs check box and specify the time for the additional delay.
This option is only available if you selected Power on in Step 6.For example, you might specify an additional delay after powering on a virtual machine to allow applications to start up that another virtual machine depends on.