To run Site Recovery Manager and its associated services on the preconfigured Site Recovery Manager Appliance, you deploy the appliance both at the protected and at the recovery site.
If you are not deploying the appliance from an online URL, download the Site Recovery Manager ISO image and mount it on a system in your environment.
- Log in to the vSphere Web Client or the vSphere Client on the protected site.
- Right-click a host and select Deploy OVF template.
- Provide the location of the OVF file from which to deploy the Site Recovery Manager Appliance, and click Next.
Option Description Online URL Select URL and provide the URL to deploy the appliance from an online URL. Downloadable ISO file
- Select \bin directory in the ISO image. , and navigate to the
- Select the srm-va_OVF10.ovf, srm-va-system.vmdk, srm-va-support.vmdk, srm-va_OVF10.cert, and srm-va_OVF10.mf files.
- Enter the name for the virtual appliance or accept the default, select, or search for a destination folder or data center for the appliance, and click Next.
The name must be unique within each vCenter Server virtual machine folder.
- Select a cluster, host, or resource pool where you want to run the deployed template, and click Next.
- Review the virtual appliance details and click Next.
- Accept the end-user license agreements (EULA) and click Next.
- Select the number of vCPUs for the virtual appliance and click Next.
- Select a destination datastore and disk format for the virtual appliance and click Next.
- Select a network from the list of available networks, set the IP protocol and IP allocation, and click Next.
Site Recovery Manager supports both DHCP and static IP addresses. You can also change the network settings by using the appliance management interface after installation.
- On the Customize template page, select an option for the Site Recovery Manager Appliance hostname.
Option Description Leave the text box blank The DNS server on your network performs reverse lookup of the host name, or the Site Recovery Manager Appliance is registered with its IP address as its host name. Enter a host name Depending on your network settings, select one of the following options:
- If you have assigned a static IP address to the appliance, enter an FQDN for that IP.
- If you do not use a DNS server, enter a host name that you have already mapped to an IP address in your network.
- (Optional) To enable the SSHD service of the appliance, select the Enable SSHD check box.
- Set the admin, database, and root user passwords, and click Next.
Setting Action Initial admin user password Set the password for the admin user account, which you use for access to the Site Recovery Manager Appliance Management Interface and for SSH access to the appliance OS. Initial database password Set the password for the srmdb database account, which you use to connect to the embedded vPostgres database. Initial root password Set the password for the root account, which you use to log in to the OS of the virtual appliance. NTP Servers Enter one or more NTP server host names or IP addresses.Note: The admin, database, and root user passwords must be at least eight characters long and must contain characters from four character classes: lowercase letters, uppercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- (Optional) To check the integrity of the Site Recovery Manager Appliance binary files, select the File Integrity Flag check box.
If the Site Recovery Manager Appliance detects changes to the binary files, it sends log traces to the syslog.
- Review the settings and click Finish.
The Site Recovery Manager Appliance is deployed.
- Power on the Site Recovery Manager Appliance.
- Take a note of the IP address of the appliance and log out of the vSphere Web Client or the vSphere Client.
- To deploy Site Recovery Manager on the recovery site, repeat the procedure.
What to do next
Configure the Site Recovery Manager Appliance instances to connect to vCenter Server at both the protected and the recovery site.