If you protect virtual machines by using array-based replication or by using array-based replication with storage policy protection, you must install a Storage Replication Adapter (SRA) specific to each storage array that you use with Site Recovery Manager. An SRA is a program that an array vendor provides that enables Site Recovery Manager to work with a specific kind of array.
You must install an appropriate SRA on the Site Recovery Manager Server hosts at the protected and recovery sites. If you use more than one type of storage array, you must install the SRA for each type of array on both of the Site Recovery Manager Server hosts.
Storage replication adapters come with their own installation instructions. You must install the version of an SRA that corresponds to a specific Site Recovery Manager version. Install the same version of the SRA at both sites. Do not mix SRA versions.
If you are using vSphere Replication, you do not require an SRA.
- Check the availability of an SRA for your type of storage by consulting the VMware Compatibility Guide for Site Recovery Manager at http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=sra.
- Download the SRA by going to https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads, selecting , then selecting .
- If you obtain an SRA from a different vendor site, verify that it has been certified for the Site Recovery Manager release you are using by checking the VMware Compatibility Guide for Site Recovery Manager at http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=sra.
- Read the documentation provided with your SRA. SRAs do not support all features that storage arrays support. The documentation that your SRA provides details what the SRA supports and requires. For example, HP and EMC have detailed physical requirements which must be met for the SRA to perform as expected.
- Install Site Recovery Manager Server before you install the SRAs.
- Your SRA might require the installation of other vendor-provided components. You might need to install some of these components on the Site Recovery Manager Server host. Other components might require only network access by the Site Recovery Manager Server. For the latest information on such requirements, review the release notes and readme files for the SRAs you are installing.
- Enable the storage array's capability to create snapshot copies of the replicated devices. See your SRA documentation.
- Install the SRA on each Site Recovery Manager Server host.
The installer installs the SRA in C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\storage\sra.
- In the vSphere Client, click , select a site pair, and click View Details.
- In the Site Pair tab, go to , and click the Rescan Adapters button.
This action refreshes SRA information, allowing Site Recovery Manager to discover the SRAs.