Create storage policy protection groups to protect virtual machines that are associated with a storage policy.
- In the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client, click .
- On the Site Recovery home tab, select a site pair, and click View Details.
- Click the Protection Groups tab, and click New to create a protection group.
- On the Name and direction page, enter a name and description for the protection group, select a direction, and click Next.
- On the Protection group type page, select the Storage Policies (array-based replication), and click Next.
- Select storage policies to add to the protection group and click Next.
- On the Recovery plan page, you can optionally add the protection group to a recovery plan.
Option Description Add to existing recovery plan Adds the protection group to an existing recovery plan. Add to new recovery plan Adds the protection group to a new recovery plan.
If you select this option, you must enter a recovery plan name.
Do not add to recovery plan now Select this option if you do not want to add the protection group to a recovery plan.
- Review your settings and click Finish.
You can monitor the progress of the creation of the protection group on the Protection Group tab.
- If Site Recovery Manager successfully protected all the virtual machines associated with the storage policy, the protection status of the protection group is OK.
- If Site Recovery Manager cannot protect all the virtual machines associated with the storage policy, the protection status of the protection group is Not Configured.
What to do next
If the protection status of the protection group is Not Configured, verify that you satisfied the prerequisites in Prerequisites for Storage Policy Protection Groups, review Limitations of Storage Policy Protection Groups, modify the storage policy implementation accordingly, and attempt to recreate the protection group.