Create vVols protection groups to protect virtual machines for which you configured vVols replication.
Verify that you have included virtual machines in datastores for which you configured vVols replication.
- In the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client, click .
- On the Site Recovery home tab, select a site pair, and click View Details.
- Click the Protection Groups tab, and click New to create a protection group.
- On the Name and direction page, enter a name and description for the protection group, select a direction, and click Next.
- On the Protection group type pane, select Virtual Volumes (vVol replication), select a specific fault domain, and click Next.
- Select replication groups to add to the protection group and click Next.
You can expand each replication group row to see the virtual machines that the group contains.
Virtual machines that have replication errors are shown separately. You can see them by enabling Show virtual machines which cannot be protected.Note: vVols does not support the recovery of template virtual machines.
- On the Recovery plan page, you can optionally add the protection group to a recovery plan.
Option Description Add to existing recovery plan Adds the protection group to an existing recovery plan. Add to new recovery plan Adds the protection group to a new recovery plan.
If you select this option, you must enter a recovery plan name.
Do not add to recovery plan now Select this option if you do not want to add the protection group to a recovery plan.
- Review your settings and click Finish.
You can monitor the progress of the creation of the protection group on the Protection Group tab.
- If Site Recovery Manager successfully applied inventory mappings to the protected virtual machines, the protection status of the protection group is OK.
- If you did not configure inventory mappings, or if Site Recovery Manager was unable to apply them, the protection status of the protection group is Not Configured.
What to do next
If the protection status of the protection group is Not Configured, apply inventory mappings to the virtual machines:
- To apply site-wide inventory mappings, or to check whether inventory mappings that you have already set are valid, see Configure Inventory Mappings. To apply these mappings to all the virtual machines, see Apply Inventory Mappings to All Members of an Array-Based, vVols, or vSphere Replication Protection Group.
- To apply inventory mappings to each virtual machine in the protection group individually, see Configure Inventory Mappings for an Individual Virtual Machine in an Array-Based, vVols, or vSphere Replication Protection Group.