If you map storage policies on the protected site to storage policies on the recovery site, when you run a recovery plan, Site Recovery Manager can place the recovered virtual machines in the vCenter Server inventory and on datastores on the recovery site according to the storage policy that you mapped to on the recovery site.
- In the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client, click .
- On the Site Recovery home tab, select a site pair, and click View Details.
- On the Site Pair tab, click .
- Select a site and click New to create a mapping.
- Select whether to create the mapping automatically or manually and click Next.
Option Description Automatically prepare mappings for storage policies with matching names Site Recovery Manager automatically maps storage policies on the protected site to storage policies on the recovery site that have the same name. Prepare mappings manually To map specific storage policies on the protected site to specific storage policies on the recovery site.
- Select the storage policies on the protected site to map to storage policies on the recovery site.
If you select manual mapping, you can map multiple storage policies on the local site to a single storage policy on the remote site. You can select only one item at a time on the remote site.
- If you selected automatic mapping, Site Recovery Manager selects any storage policies on the protected site for which a storage policy with the same name exists on the recovery site.
- If you selected manual mapping, select a specific storage policy on the protected site, then select the storage policy on the recovery site to which to map this storage policy.
- Click Add mappings.
The mappings appear at the bottom of the page.
- Click Next.
- (Optional) On the Reverse mappings page, select the check box for a mapping and click Next.
Selecting this option creates corresponding mappings from the storage policy on the remote site to the storage policy on the local site. You require reverse mappings to establish bidirectional protection and to run reprotect operations. You cannot select this option if two or more mappings have the same target on the remote site.
- Click Finish to create the mappings.