After Site Recovery Manager performs a recovery, you can perform a failback to restore the original configuration of the protected and recovery sites.
After a recovery from site A to site B, the recovered virtual machines are running on site B without protection.
- You performed a recovery, either as part of a planned migration or as part of a disaster recovery.
- The original protected site, site A, is running.
- You did not run reprotect since the recovery.
- If you performed a disaster recovery, you must perform a planned migration when the hosts and datastores on the original protected site are running again.
- In the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client, click .
- On the Site Recovery home tab, select a site pair, and click View Details.
- On the Recovery Plans tab, right-click a recovery plan and click Reprotect.
- Select the check box to confirm that you understand that the reprotect operation is irreversible.
- Determine whether to enable Force Cleanup, and click Next.
Force Cleanup is only available after you run reprotect once and errors occur. Enabling this option forces the removal of virtual machines, ignoring errors, and returns the recovery plan to the ready state.
- Review the reprotect information and click Finish.
- Select the recovery plan and click Recovery Steps to monitor the reprotect operation until it finishes.
- (Required) If necessary, rerun reprotect until it finishes without errors.
At the end of the reprotect operation, Site Recovery Manager reverses replication, so that the original recovery site, site B, is now the protected site.
- To run the recovery plan as a planned migration, right-click the recovery plan and click Recovery.
- Select the recovery plan and click Recovery Steps to monitor the planned migration until it finishes.
The planned migration shuts down the virtual machines on the new protected site, site B, and starts up the virtual machines on the new recovery site, site A. If necessary, rerun the planned migration until it finishes without errors.
When the planned migration completes, the virtual machines are running on the original protected site, site A, but the virtual machines are not protected. The virtual machines on the original recovery site, site B, are powered off.
- Right-click the recovery plan, click Reprotect, and follow the instructions of the wizard to perform a second reprotect operation.
You restored the protected and recovery sites to their original configuration before the recovery. The protected site is site A, and the recovery site is site B.