Every virtual machine requires a swap file. By default, vCenter Server creates swap files in the same datastore as the other virtual machine files. To prevent Site Recovery Manager from replicating swap files, you can configure virtual machines to create them in an unreplicated datastore.
Under normal circumstances, you should keep the swap files in the same datastore as other virtual machine files. However, you might need to prevent replication of swap files to avoid excessive consumption of network bandwidth. Some storage vendors recommend that you do not replicate swap files. Only prevent replication of swap files if it is absolutely necessary.
- In the vSphere Client, select Hosts and Clusters, select a host, and click Configure.
- Under Virtual Machines, select Swap file location, and click Edit.
- Select Use a specific datastore, and select an unreplicated datastore.
- Click OK.
- Power off and power on all virtual machines on the host.
Resetting the guest operating system is not sufficient. The change of swapfile location takes effect after you power off then power on the virtual machines.
- Browse the datastore that you selected for swapfiles and verify that VSWP files are present for the virtual machines.