vSphere vMotion migration of a virtual machine is available only for a planned migration. You can enable or disable vSphere vMotion from the Recovery Properties dialog box.
- Before performing a vSphere vMotion migration, confirm that the virtual machine belongs to a storage policy protection group, is placed on stretched storage, and is powered on.
- Ensure that you have configured full inventory mappings. If you have only configured temporary placeholder inventory mappings and you run a planned migration with the Enable vMotion of eligible VMs option, planned migration fails, even though both sites are running.
- In the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client, click .
- On the Site Recovery home tab, select a site pair, and click View Details.
- Click the Recovery Plans tab, click a recovery plan, and click the Virtual Machines tab.
- Right-click a virtual machine and click Configure Recovery.
Select Use vMotion for planned migration (VM should be powered on).
- Click OK.
There is no power cycle during the planned migration. Configured shutdown or startup actions or steps configured before power on are ignored. Steps configured after power on are run.