You can create custom recovery steps to prompt users to perform tasks or for Site Recovery Manager to perform tasks on a virtual machine before or after Site Recovery Manager powers it on.
Site Recovery Manager associates command steps with a protected or recovered virtual machine in the same way as a customization information. If multiple recovery plans contain the same virtual machine, Site Recovery Manager includes the commands and prompts in all recovery plans.
- You have a recovery plan to which to add custom steps.
- Verify that you have VMware Tools installed on the virtual machines where you are going to run custom scripts.
- In the vSphere Client, click .
- On the Site Recovery home tab, select a site pair, and click View Details.
- On the Recovery Plans tab, select a recovery plan, and click Recovery Steps.
- Right-click a virtual machine and click Configure Recovery.
- On the Recovery Properties tab, click Pre-Power On Steps or Post-Power On Steps.
- Click the plus icon to add a step.
- Select the type of step to create.
Option Description Prompt Prompts users to perform a task or to provide information that the user must acknowledge before the plan continues to the next step. This option is available for both pre-power on steps and post-power on steps. Command on SRM Server Runs a command on Site Recovery Manager Server. This option is available for both pre-power on steps and post-power on steps. Command on Recovered VM Runs a command on the recovered virtual machine. This option is only available for post-power on steps.
- In the Name text box, enter a name for the step.
The step name appears in the list of steps in the Recovery Steps view.
- In the Content text box, enter a command, script, or message prompt.
- If you selected Command on SRM Server or Command on Recovered VM, enter the command or script to run.
- If you selected Prompt, enter the text of the message to display during the recovery plan run.
- (Optional) Modify the Timeout setting for the command to run on Site Recovery Manager Server.
This option is not available if you create a prompt step.
- To add the step to the recovery plan, click Add.
- To reconfigure the virtual machine to run the command before or after it powers on, click OK.