The activated vCenter migration configuration allows to migrate virtual machines between non-linked vCenters which are accessible for each other through the network.
- There is no capability in the product to identify encrypted virtual machines. Thus, the migration of encrypted virtual machines is not supported.
- Only powered off virtual machines can be migrated across vCenter Servers.
The migration of a linked VM results in creation of a full VM in a new (target) vCenter so it requires more disk space on datastores of the vCenter than the VM consumes in the source vCenter.
The migration of a parent VM results in keeping the copy of VMDK files used by its linked clones on datastores of the source vCenter
vSphere limitations and requirements for the cross vCenter migration can be found in the official vSphere documentation. The most important ones:
- Existing requirements for cross vCenter migration can be found in the knowledge base article 2106952 and in the official documentation.
- Encrypted vSphere vMotion is described on Encrypted vSphere vMotion.
- The target vCenter may be incompatible with the migrating virtual machine hardware. The compatibility matrix is available in the knowledge base article 2007240.