The process to upload device-based (serial number) applications is a similar process to uploading user-based (Apple ID) VPP applications. The only difference is that the device-based method does not involve sending invitations.
To see a video about the deployment of VPP applications by device serial number, go to https://support.air-watch.com/articles/115001674868.
Once an application is enabled for device-based use in the AirWatch Console, you cannot reverse its status and use it in the user-based system.
sTokens – Upload or register an sToken in the desired organization group in AirWatch. If you do not want AirWatch to send invitations to devices that are eligible to use the device-based VPP method, disable the Automatically Send Invites check box.
- Syncs – Start here in the process if you already have sTokens in AirWatch. AirWatch prompts you to register an sToken with the AirWatch environment, if needed. It sends invites automatically for user-based applications that have an Auto push mode.
Assignments – Assign device-based VPP applications using smart groups. During the assignment process, AirWatch prompts you to enable applications for the device-based method with the setting Enable Device Assignment. You also choose the push mode during this step: On Demand or Auto.
- Publication – Save device-based application assignments to deploy them to the AirWatch Catalog for installation on devices.
- Information Access – Access license and application information using the Licenses page, the Device Details page, and the Manage Devices page.
- Revoke and Reuse – Revoke licenses with various management functions.
- Unenroll devices
- Select the revoke action on the information pages (Licenses, Device Details, and Manage Devices pages)
- Deactivate and delete assignments
- Remove devices from smart groups assigned to the VPP application
For more information on how to enable device-based VPP assignments, see the following AirWatch Knowledge Base article: https://support.air-watch.com/articles/115001674608.
See Managed Distribution by Device Serial Number for general information about the managed distribution method by device serial number, which includes supported operating systems, benefits, and the need for no VPP invitations.