Windows Auto-Discovery for Windows devices requires the Windows Auto-Discovery Service installed onto a server. This server must meet the minimum requirements and have access to your internal network.
The Windows Auto-Discovery Service (WADS) is a web service installed on a physical or virtual server running Windows 2008 R2+ on Internet Information Services (IIS) 7+. It operates from within your DMZ or internal network and can be configured behind any existing Web Application Firewalls (WAF) or load balancers. By initiating a secure HTTPS connection from the Windows Phone or Windows Desktop devices to the WADS server, end users receive enrollment credentials, depending on optional configurations.
The installation process requires:
- Obtaining an SSL certificate for EnterpriseEnrollment.<domain>.
- Obtaining the executable for the Windows Auto-Discovery Service.
- Downloading and installing WADS onto server.
- Binding SSL certificate to the EnrollmentServer virtual directory.
- (Optional) enabling WADS to use AirWatch’s Auto-Discovery.
- (Optional) enabling WADS to use Workplace Web Enrollment.