Using certificates over the standard username and password credentials have certain benefits as the certificates provide stronger authentication against unauthorized access. It also eliminates the need for end users to enter in a password or renew one every month. Sensitive emails between recipients can be encrypted through S/MIME or prove your identity through a message signature.
To enable Certificate-based email:
- Navigate to Devices > Profiles & Resources > Profiles.
- Select ADD > Add Profile and then select the required platform.
- Choose the Credentials profile setting and configure it.
- Credential Source – Select any from the available list.
- Upload – Upload a certificate and enter a name for the certificate.
- Defined Certificate Authority – Select the CA and the certificate template from the drop-down menu for your organization group.
The certificate authorities and the templates are added for an organization group at Devices > Certificates > Certificate Authorities.
- User Certificate – Select the type of S/MIME certificate
- S/MIME Signing Certificate
- S/MIME Encryption Certificate