If you want to proceed with registering devices before enrollment, consider the following.
Consideration: Who Will Register Devices?
An important consideration when registering devices is deciding who will perform the actual device registration.
- What is the total number of devices in your deployment? In particularly large deployments of thousands of devices, you may want to add this information to a CSV (comma-separated values) file to be uploaded before devices are provisioned or pass on the act of device registration onto the end user.
- Do you support a BYOD program where employees can use their personal devices? If you choose to restrict enrollment to only registered devices, you will need to give employees instructions on how to register their devices.
End-User Device Registration through the SSP
You may choose to have end users register their own devices before enrolling into AirWatch if you are supporting BYOD in your deployment and yet still require devices to be registered before they can enroll. You can also require users with corporate owned devices to register their devices if you want to track enrollment or utilize registration tokens. In either case, you will need to notify your end users of the process they will need to follow.
The following instructions assume the end user has AirWatch credentials, either from their existing directory service credentials or from a previously-activated AirWatch User Account. If you opted for enrollment with directory services without manually adding users, you will not have any user accounts already created.
In this case, if you want end users to register devices, you will need to send an email or intranet notification to each user group outside of AirWatch with the registration instructions.
If you enabled registration tokens for enrollment authentication, they will be sent to the user using the selected message type at this time.
Restricting Enrollment to Registered Devices Only
At this point, regardless of whether administrators or end users have registered devices, you can restrict enrollment to only registered devices. To do this, navigate to Devices > Device Settings > Devices & Users > General > Enrollment and select Registered Devices Only.
Tracking Enrollment Status
Once devices are registered, you can track enrollment statuses by navigating to the Device Dashboard page and selecting the Enrollment chart, which lets you filter based on enrollment status. You can also access the Hub, which lists devices recently enrolled.
- Register Individual Devices – Enter important device and asset information such as friendly name for easy recognition in the AirWatch Console, model, operating system, serial number, Unique Device Identifier (UDID), and asset number. This process may also be the final step when adding a single user by selecting Save and Add Device rather than Save.
- Register Multiple Devices – Similar to adding users in bulk, this process streamlines the device registration process when adding multiple devices at a time. It may be included with the Bulk User Account Creation process.
- End User Device Registration – You may choose to have end users register their own devices before enrolling into AirWatch if you are supporting BYOD in your deployment and yet still require devices to be registered before they can enroll.
For more information, see Enable Registration Tokens and Create a Default Message.
User Group Synchronization During Enrollment
If you intend to center your application assignments, device profile assignments, compliance policy assignments, or user mappings around user groups, then consider keeping the User Group Sync setting enabled which is its default setting. This setting causes Workspace ONE to make a real-time call to the authentication server each time a device record is created.
For more information, see the User Group Sync section in Configure Enrollment Options on Grouping Tab.