Create an enrollment profile for the desired organization group in the AirWatch Console. The enrollment profile contains MDM enrollment settings along with a certificate that uniquely identifies the MDM server URL, group ID, and username to assign to the device.
- Navigate to Devices > Device Settings > Devices & Users > Apple > Apple Configurator.
- Select Enable Automated Enrollment. You may need to Override the current organization group to do this.
- Select the Platform for staging.
Select the appropriate Staging Mode depending on how the device is going to be used. Pre-register devices by selecting None or Single User mode to pre-assign an end user to each device.
If you do not register any devices, the enrollment user is dependent on the Staging Mode selected below:
None – Does not stage device for other users. For non-registered devices, all devices will be enrolled under the Default Enrollment User. In this case, only non-staging users are available as default staging user options.Important:
If you do not pre-register your devices and select None and specify a default enrollment user, then all devices that receive the .mobileconfig file will be enrolled to that user. To ensure devices are enrolled to distinct users, pre-register them to specific users or create a staging user account and select Single User as your Staging Mode.
- Single User – Stages device for a single, known or unknown user. Only staging users are available as Default Enrollment User options. When end users open the AirWatch Agent, they must enter credentials to fully enroll the staged device. At that time, the device details will update in the AirWatch Console and the device is associated with that end user.
Multi User – Places device into Shared Device Mode. This stages the device for multiple, known or unknown users. Only staging users are available as Default Enrollment User options. When end users open the AirWatch Agent, they must enter credentials to check out the device for use.
Select Copy and follow the prompt to copy the MDM Server URL. Save this information so you can paste into an Apple Configurator 2 blueprint later.
Select Export to save a .mobileconfig file that includes the name of the organization group.
- If you performed this step on a macOS computer, note that your macOS device may display a System Preferences window asking you to install the profile. Select Cancel.
- If you performed this step on a Windows PC, then transfer the file to the macOS computer that is running Apple Configurator 2.
- Select Save and Copy URL to save the staging settings.