AirWatch can deploy your applications as managed and unmanaged. The AirWatch Console can perform particular tasks for managed content that it cannot perform for unmanaged content.
Explanation of Managed
Use the AirWatch public application feature to search and upload public applications from app stores. If you use another way to add public applications to devices, AirWatch does not manage these applications. Management functions include these features.
- Automatically deploy applications to devices through a catalog for installation.
- Deploy versions of applications.
- Feature applications in catalogs so that device users can easily access and install them.
- Track installations of applications and push installation from the console.
- Deactivate public applications to remove them from devices but to keep them in AirWatch so that you can re-activate them.
- Delete applications and all their versions from AirWatch and from devices.
Benefits of Management
AirWatch can manage most applications unless there is a platform-specific reason hindering management or you upload public content without searching for it in an app store.
- Managed content
- Distribute – AirWatch pushes managed content with a catalog to devices. The catalog automatically installs content or makes content available for download depending upon the configured push mode.
- Remove – AirWatch can remove managed content off devices.
- Unmanaged content
- Distribute – AirWatch must direct end users through the catalog to an app store to download documents.
- Remove – AirWatch cannot remove unmanaged content from devices.