Drag and drop the Agent from a computer to Android devices. Use this method to stage the agent on a small number of devices.
- Put the Agent .apk file on a computer for easy access. Ask you AirWatch Account Manager for the latest version if you do not have it.
Prepare the Android device for sideloading. On the device, navigate to Settings > Security > Unknown sources and select Allow installation of non-Market apps.
- Connect a device to the computer using the USB port and a USB cable.
In order for the computer to communicate with the device, select the Turn on USB storage button on the device. The computer detects the device drive.
Select the Open folder to view files option on the computer to open the device drive.
From the computer, drag and drop the Agent .apk file to the device.
Do not put the .apk file in the device’s USB Storage folder because you cannot access the USB Storage folder from the device.
Disconnect the device from the computer.
- Using the native file manager or the Files application on the device, select the AirWatchAgent_x.x.apk file.
Select install. After the installation completes, select the prompt to open the Agent and begin enrollment.
Sideload Using a Hosted Download Site
Send users a link that connects their Android devices to the Agent .apk file that you host on an internal server. Use this method to deploy the Agent to a large number of devices.
Host the Agent .apk file on an internal server that is accessible by devices for download. Ask your AirWatch Account Manager for the latest version if you do not have it. Instruct users to prepare the device for sideloading.
- On the device, users navigate to Settings > Security > Unknown sources and select Allow installation of non-Market apps.
Send an email or text message that contains a direct link to the Agent .apk file to applicable users.
- Direct users to navigate to and select the hosted file to install the Agent.
- Instruct users to select the Agent download notification in the download notifications area on the device.
Instruct users to select the AirWatchAgent_x.x apk file.
If users miss the download notification, they can find the Agent .apk file in the Download folder. The Download folder is in the native file manager or the Files application.
Direct users to select install. After installation completes, have users select the prompt to open the Agent and begin enrollment.
The process of sideloading an Android device affects the device’s ability to upgrade the Agent version. In order for the sideloaded Android device to receive an Agent upgrade, you must deploy the new Agent version as an internal application through the AirWatch Console. You can get the upgrade file from your AirWatch Account Manager.
You do not need to deploy the Agent as an internal application for upgrade if the company does not prohibit the use of Google Accounts. When users receive staged devices, they can download personal Google Accounts to the staged devices. With their personal Google Accounts, they can access the Google Play Store to upgrade the Agent.