Using the App Volumes Application Capture Command-Line Program, you can test and validate the captured application before delivering the application package to the end users. To test the captured application, the appcapture.exe /test command uses the .vhd format of the application package.
When the appcapture.exe /test runs, the application is dynamically available on the virtual machine used for testing purpose. At a time, only one application package can be tested per session.
- Ensure that you perform this task on a clean virtual machine.
- Ensure that the User Account Control (UAC) in Windows is deactivated.
To deactivate UAC, see the relevant Microsoft Windows documentation.
- You must have already captured the application that you want to test and validate.
- Copy the .vhd format of the application package to a file share accessible by the virtual machine used for testing.
- Ensure that you test and validate the application package on a clean virtual machine different from the machine used for capturing the application.
- Ensure that the command-line capture program is installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\AppCapture.
Note: Do not use the command-line capture program's executable located at C:\Program Files (x86)\CloudVolumes\Agent. This copy of the executable is meant for internal purpose only.
- You must run the command-line capture program as administrator.
- Ensure that you are aware of the command-line arguments that can be used with the appcapture.exe command.
For more information about the command-line arguments, see Windows Command-Line Arguments for the App Volumes Application Capture Command-Line Program. Alternately, you can use appcapture.exe /help on the command line.
- Take a snapshot of your virtual machine.
You can revert to the snapshot after testing and validating the application. It is recommended that you revert to this snapshot between two successive test sessions.
- Open a command-line window.
- Start the test session for an application package from the location where the command-line capture program is installed by using the following command: appcapture.exe /test <source_path_.vhd_file>.
<source_path_.vhd_file> is the path of the .vhd file of the application package that is tested.Application is now enabled for testing.
- Test and validate the application.
- To end the test session, use the following command: appcapture.exe /testend.
Application is removed from the virtual machine and is no longer available for testing.
- If you intend to test and validate another application, then revert to the snapshot taken before you started the test session for this application.