Storage groups can be used to automatically replicate application volumes and distribute Writable Volumes across multiple datastores.
You can specify a group of datastores that contain the same application packages or AppStacks and by using the vCenter, App Volumes replicates the .vmdk files across the datastores for redundancy and scalability.
Some of the attributes for the group, such as template location and distribution strategy, only apply when using the group for distributing Writable Volumes. The distribution strategy setting controls how Writable Volumes are distributed across the group.
You can directly select the storage to add or specify a name prefix to automatically add new matching storage.
- Provide the following information:
Option Description Group Name Name for the storage group. Automation
- Select Automatically Import AppStacks and Packages
- Select Automatically Replicate AppStacks and Packages
The Automatically Import AppStacks and Packages option can be used to control the automatic import of new AppStacks and Packages found in the storage locations. This option does not change the import behavior of AppStacks and Packages that are replicated within the same App Volumes Manager instance. In this scenario, the volumes are always imported after replication.Note: If the datastore is shared by another App Volumes instance which is registered as a target to this instance, then the application packages are only replicated to the target instance and not automatically imported. The import behavior depends on a control setting, Application Package Import, configured on the target instance.
For more information about the role of an App Volumes instance in application synchronization, see Configure Multiple App Volumes Instances for Application Synchronization.
For more information about Application Package Import control setting on the target instance, see Register an App Volumes Instance as a Target.
Distribution Strategy Select how you want the files to be distributed:
- Spread - Distribute files evenly across all the storage locations. When a file is created, the storage with the most available space is selected.
- Round-robin - Distribute files by sequentially using the storage locations. When a file is created, the storage with the oldest used time is selected.
Template Storage Select a storage location from the drop-down menu. Storage Selection
Direct- select from the list of storage options that are displayed.
Automatic- You can specify a storage name prefix to filter the options. Leave the Storage Name Prefix box blank to see all storage options.
- Select a prefix for the storage name.
To view all possible storage locations, the Storage Name Prefix field must be left blank. This field is visible only for
- To create a group for a specific location, select a storage location.
- Click Create.
- A list of locations that was selected is displayed. Confirm the operation and click Create..