If you have upgraded from App Volumes Manager 2.x, you can skip this section. This section provides information for users who have installed the latest version of App Volumes Manager and need to enable AppStacks and Writable Volumes (2.x).
App Volumes Manager supports the co-existence of both Application Packages and AppStacks. Similar to creating and managing Application Packages and Writable Volumes, you can also create and manage AppStacks and Writable Volumes (2.x) by using the App Volumes Manager UI.
- Download the App Volumes 2.18 build from the VMware download page and extract the App Volumes zip file.
- Install the Agent on a virtual machine different from the one where the latest version of App Volumes Agent has been installed.
To install the Agent, see the VMware App Volumes Installation Guide at VMware Docs.
- Download the templates for AppStacks and Writable Volumes (2.x).
- On the virtual machine where you have installed the latest App Volumes Manager, save these templates as follows:
- Save the AppStacks templates at CloudVolumes\Manager\ppv\appstacks2x_templates
- Save the Writable Volumes (2.x) templates at CloudVolumes\Manager\ppv\writables2x_templates
When creating AppStacks or Writable Volumes (2.x), these templates must be uploaded to the datastores.
- Turn on the visibility and management of 2.x features in the UI by using the Enable Volumes (2.x) toggle switch.
Note: If you have installed the latest version of App Volumes Manager on a new database, the 2.x toggle switch is off by default.