You can define your upgrade strategy using AppDefense Appliance > Upgrade tab. Upgrade strategy consists of selecting your preferred method to download the upgrade bundles and how to initiate the upgrade process.
- Log in to the AppDefense Appliance VA GUI at https://<appliance ip address> using the admin credentials or using the vSphere user credentials.
- Go to the tab.
- In the Bundle download strategy section, click Edit and select the strategy for receiving the upgrade bundle.
Parameter Description Auto Detect and download If you want the AppDefense Appliance to detect the available upgrade bundle automatically and download the file, select the Auto Detect and download check box.Important: You must take a snapshot of the AppDefense Appliance virtual machine (VM) before the upgrade. For details, refer to Back Up AppDefense Appliance VM Before Upgrade. Schedule frequency for downloading bundle Schedule frequency for downloading the upgrade bundle. Download Now If you want to download the available upgrade bundle immediately, click Download Now. For details, refer to Download Upgrade Bundle. Upload FIle You can also upload the manually downloaded bundle as follows.
- Click Choose File and select the downloaded ZIP file.
- Click Upload.
The upload progress bar displays the progress of the process. Wait until the upload is complete.
The New Upgrade Available section becomes available with the Upgrade Now option at the end of the page. For details, refer to Upgrade Appliance With Downloaded Upgrade Bundle.
- In the Appliance upgrade strategy section, select the strategy for installing the downloaded bundles of the AppDefense Appliance.
Parameter Description Turn off Auto Upgrade
If you do not want to upgrade automatically to a newer version when the upgrade bundles are available, select the Turn off Auto Upgrade option.
Auto Upgrade If you want to upgrade to a newer version automatically, when the upgrade bundles are available, select the Auto Upgrade option.Note: Schedule is set in the AppDefense Appliance time zone. By default, the AppDefense Appliance time zone is UTC and cannot be changed. Schedule once If you want to schedule the upgrade by specifying date and time from the calendar, select the Schedule once option.Note: Schedule is set as per the local (browser) time zone, and not as per the AppDefense Appliance time zone. Schedule repeating If you want to repeat the upgrade schedule, either everyday or once in a week, select the Schedule repeating option.
- In the VM Upgrade source section, select the strategy for receiving the upgrade bundle for AppDefense Host Module and AppDefense Guest Module.
Parameter Description From Cloud If you have subscribed to the AppDefense Service (SaaS), you can directly receive the upgrade bundle for AppDefense Host Module and AppDefense Guest Module from cloud. Locally from Appliance You can receive the upgrade bundle for AppDefense Host Module and AppDefense Guest Module from the AppDefense Appliance bundle. Specify a repository You can upload the upgrade bundle to a repository, and can specify that repository to receive upgrade bundles for AppDefense Host Module and AppDefense Guest Module.
- Enter URL for the repository.
- Enter credentials for the repository.
- To save your upgrade strategy, click Save.
Upgrade initiates based on your saved upgrade settings.
- The New Upgrade Available section becomes available when the new upgrade bundle is downloaded. If you want to upgrade immediately using the available upgrade bundle, click Upgrade Now.
The AppDefense Appliance restarts all the services. When the upgrade is in-progress, Appliance becomes unreachable for some time until the upgrade is complete.
What to do next
Upgrade AppDefense Appliance first, then AppDefense Host Module, and lastly AppDefense Guest Module.