You can install AppDefense Guest Module on the supported Linux system. The installation of AppDefense Guest Module installs the AppDefense package, Guest Introspection package, and the netfilter dependencies.
Guest Introspection is a service that is deployed to offload security functions to a dedicated security appliance on each host. As a result, Guest Introspection removes the need for an antivirus agent within the guest operating system.
Guest Introspection uses the following netfilter libraries to provide connection control and connection monitoring capability to the AppDefense.
- libnetfilter_queue: Provides APIs to capture network packets.
- libnetfilter_conntrack: Provides APIs to track network connection status.
Linux Installation Package
The Linux installation packages are available at the following two locations.
- Package Repository: https://packages.vmware.com/appdefense/latest/
- Downloads Repository: https://appd-dl.vmware.com/repository/
Linux Installation Options
You have the following options to install AppDefense Guest Module on the supported Linux system.
- Install Guest Module on Linux System Using VMware Package Repository: Preferred method for installation.
- Install Guest Module on Linux System Using the Downloads Repository: If you cannot access the VMware package repository (https://packages.vmware.com) or you cannot access the operating system (OS) repository to install the netfilter dependencies, then you can install AppDefense Guest Module on guest Linux virtual machines (VM) using the Downloads (appd-dl.vmware.com) repository.
- Install Guest Module on Linux System Using Local Download: If you do not have Internet access, then you can download the complete installation package and then configure the AppDefense Guest Module on the required guest Linux virtual machines (VM) pointing to the local repository.
- Install Guest Module Using Package Manager Command: If you do not want to configure the repository, you can use this method.
Known Limitations for Linux VMs
There are few known limitations for AppDefense to work with Linux VM. For details, refer to the Known Limitation With Linux VMs.