You must set up the AppDefense Host Module on the ESXi host. Host module enables communication from the AppDefense Guest Module to the AppDefense Appliance. The vSphere installation bundle (VIB) named glxhost is installed on the ESXi host after AppDefense is deployed.
- If you have an older version of the host module installed, then uninstall the older version before installing the new version.
- If AppDefense Appliance has enabled the outbound filtering feature, then allow the following websites. Make sure to unblock port 443. If you want to automatically redirect http to https from the browser for the AppDefense websites, also unblock port 80.
- Based on your region, add the required website:
Region URL US https://appdefense.vmware.com UK https://uk.appdefense.vmware.com Frankfurt https://de.appdefense.vmware.com Sydney https://au.appdefense.vmware.com
- Make sure that the esxupdate setting is selected on the ESXi host, before installing the AppDefense Host Module. The vSphere Client user interface might differ based on version of the ESXi host. For more details, refer to vSphere documentation.
- Log in to the vSphere Client and under Hosts and Clusters, select the required ESXi host.
- Navigate to the Configure tab.
- Navigate to Edit. view, and click
- In the Edit Security Profile window, verify that esxupdate is selected.
- Click OK.
- Log in to the AppDefense Manager.
- Click Inventory, and then click the Hosts tab.
- Click the required ESXi host, and then click Install/Update.
Note: If you do not have direct connectivity to the AppDefense Manager, then Install the Host Module Manually.
- In the Install/Update Host Module window, select the required host version.
- You can schedule the installation as Immediate or Schedule later by specifying hour and day.
- To install the host module, click Confirm.
You can view the status of the installation as initiated, queued, or success with details. It takes few minutes to complete. Refresh the page after few minutes. You see that the action is completed successfully and AppDefense Host Module version appears.
- If required, click the required host, and then click Config Sync. This action sync up the hosts with the new appliance configuration. After the sync is complete, the status of the host must be Active.
- Verify if the AppDefense Host Module is installed correctly.
- Log into the ESXi host.
- Use the
esxcli software vib list | grep glxhostcommand to verify.
AppDefense Host Module is installed on the ESXi host.
What to do next
Install AppDefense Guest Module.