You can add a generic router or switch to VMware Aria Operations for Networks by uploading its device configuration file. VMware Aria Operations for Networks uses the information in the device configuration file to provide insight for the router or switch and show the router or switch in the VM-VM path.
- You must verify that the data source follows VMware Ports and Protocols supported in VMware Aria Operations for Networks. For more information, see VMware Ports and Protocols.
You must create the device configuration file in .zip format using the SDK provided by the VMware Aria Operations for Networks. To create a device configuration file, see https://github.com/vmware/network-insight-sdk-generic-datasources.
The device configuration file contains information about entities, such as router interfaces, routes, switch ports, VRFs, switch device information, and so on.Note: You must upload a new configuration file whenever there is a configuration change. VMware Aria Operations for Networks does not automatically collect data from the generic router or switches.
- From the left navigation pane, go to .
- Click Add Source.
- Under Routers & Switches, click Generic Routers & Switches.
- On the Add a New Generic Router/Switch page, modify the required information.
Option Action Collector VM Select a Collector VM from the drop-down menu. Device Configuration File Select and upload the configuration file (.zip) created using the SDK.Note: After you upload a device configuration file in VMware Aria Operations for Networks, you cannot modify the information of the uploaded device configuration file. IP Address/FQDN Enter the IP address or the FQDN details.
- Click Validate.
- (Optional) In the Nickname text box, enter a nickname.
- (Optional) In the Notes text box, add a note if necessary.
- Click Submit.