You must select the end point VMs on which you want to install the agent. All the end point VMs of the vCenter Server adapter instances are listed in the Manage Telegraf Agents page.
Ensure that you have completed all the prerequisites. For more information, see Prerequisites.
- From the left menu, select Applications panel, select Manage Telegraf Agents. You see the Manage Telegraf Agents page. . From the
- From the Manage Telegraf Agents page, select the end point VM or VMs on which you want to install the agent.
- From the Manage Telegraf Agents page, click the horizontal ellipsis, and then click Install.
- If the VMware Aria Operations Application Management Adapter instance has not been created for the specific vCenter Server, you see the Installing Telegraf Agent dialog box. You can configure high availability for application monitoring via collector groups:
Note: If the vCenter Server is on the default collector, the cloud proxy options are blank. If the vCenter Server is on a specific cloud proxy, the cloud proxy option is automatically populated. To deploy the VMware Aria Operations Application Management Adapter instance on a different cloud proxy, select another cloud proxy or application monitoring high availability activated collector group.
- Select Cloud Proxy Groups, with High-Availability if you want to associate an application monitoring high availability activated collector group to the vCenter Server. You can choose the collector group from the HA Enabled Group drop down list, or
- Select Cloud Proxies, without High-Availability if you want to associate a cloud proxy to the vCenter Server. You can choose a cloud proxy from the Cloud Proxy drop down list.
- Click Done.
- You see the Manage Agent dialog box.
- From the How do you want to provide VM Credentials page, complete the following steps:
- If you have a common user name and password for all the end point VMs, select the Common username and password option.
- If you have different user names and passwords for all the end point VMs, select the Enter virtual machine credentials option.
- Click Next.
- From the Provide Credentials page, depending on whether you have a common credential for all end point VMs or different credentials for all end point VMs, enter the following details:
- If the selected end point VMs have a common user name and password, enter the common user name and password.
- For different user names and passwords for each end point VM, download the CSV template and add the required details such as the user name, password for each end point VM. Use the Browse button to select the template.
- The Create run time user on Linux virtual machines, with required permissions as part of agent installation check box is selected by default. For more information, see User Account Prerequisites.
- Click Next.
- From the Summary page, you can view the list of end point VMs on which the agent is to be deployed.
- Click Install Agent. Refresh the UI to view the agents that are installed.
On User Account Control (UAC) deactivated Windows end point VMs, the Telegraf agent installation completes with the Agent running agent status and Install Success Last operation status, if all prerequisites are performed.
UAC Activated on Windows End Point VMs
In the case of UAC activated Windows end points VMs, for a non-administrator user who belongs to the administrator group, Telegraf agent installation completes with the Not Started agent status and Download Success last operation status, if all the prerequisites are performed. The bits are downloaded to the end point VM. You must manually install the bits. From C:\VMware\UCP\downloads, run a bootstrap launcher, and then the agent status becomes Agent Running and the Last operation status becomes Install Success.
- Open PowerShell with administrator privileges.
- Go to $SYSTEMDRIVE\VMware\UCP\downloads folder: cd $SYSTEMDRIVE\VMware\UCP\downloads
- Run the cmd /c uaf-bootstrap-launcher.bat > uaf_bootstrap.log 2>&1 command.
- View the results from uaf_bootstrap.log.
- Verify the status of agent installation from the Agent Status and Last Operation Status columns in the Manage Telegraf Agents page.
- The agent discovers the application services that are installed on the end point VMs. You can view the application services by clicking the drop down arrow against the end point VM on which the agent is installed in the Manage Telegraf Agents page. You can view the status of agent installation from the Agent Status column in the Manage Telegraf Agents page.
- After installation, an OS object will be created under end point VM topology. To view the object, select an end point VM from Go details button, and click on the Metrics tab. Expand the Object relationship widget, and select the OS object. page. Click the
- If agent installation fails, a detailed error message is displayed when you hover over the red exclamation icon before the Install Failed text in the Last operation status column. You can take appropriate action based on the error message to resolve the agent installation issues.
What to do next
You can manage the services on each agent.
For information about uninstalling an agent, see Uninstall an Agent.