You can use VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle to upgrade VMware Aria Suite product installations.
Verify that the VMware Aria Suite product to upgrade is part of a VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle private cloud environment, and take a snapshot of the product that you can revert to in the event that something goes wrong with the upgrade. See Create and manage a product snapshot.
- On the Lifecycle Operations page, click Manage Environments.
- Click VIEW DETAILS for the environment the product to upgrade is part of.
- Click the ellipses (...) icon next to the name of the product to upgrade and select Upgrade from the drop-down menu.
- Choose a product version to upgrade to.
- If you are upgrading VMware Aria Automation or vRealize Business for Cloud, choose whether to upgrade from the Default repository, the VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle Repository, or a manually-entered Repository URL.
- If you are upgrading VMware Aria Operations for Logs or VMware Aria Operations, choose whether to upgrade from the VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle Repository, or a manually-entered Repository URL, and then select the Product Version.
- Click Next.
- Select a Snapshot option.
- Take product snapshot
If the Take product snapshot option is set to true, and the snapshot is taken prior to an upgrade which can be rolled back to its initial state during an upgrade failure, the snapshot is taken with the prefix
- Retain product snapshot taken
If the Retain product snapshot taken option is set to true, it is retained and can be reverted back to the previous version after a successful upgrade.
- When you select a snapshot, it powers off the product VMs prior to taking the snapshot. This involves a period of downtime.
- If your upgrade fails, you can roll back by using the Revert Snapshot option. This is only applicable for a failed upgrade or a scale out request. If you have chosen to take snapshot as an option and your upgrade fails, the Snapshot Rollback action runs a new request to roll back to the initial state. Select the ellipsis (...) in the Requests page to access the Snapshot Rollback action.
- Take product snapshot
- Click RUN PRECHECK. After a successful pre-check, you can view the upgrade summary and click Upgrade.
If you have upgraded a VMware Aria Suite product outside of VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle, then VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle will not reflect the latest product version or the latest data of the upgraded product. At such instances you must delete the VMware Aria Suite product (the product that is already upgraded to the newer version outside of VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle) from VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle only, and then re-import the same product so that VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle can fetch the latest state and newer version of the product.Note: After upgrade, some requests might prevent the upgraded services to start. The VMware Aria Suite Lifecycle UI displays a maintenance mode message. If this occurs, restart the xenon server. If the issue still persists, delete the error request and restart xenon.
What to do next
You can view the progress of the upgrade on the Requests tab.