This topic describes caveats and steps to follow when creating (cloning) multiple golden or primary images. It is pertinent to all VDIs.
To create multiple primary images, you must uninstall the sensor from the cloned primary image. Then, install a new sensor. The second primary image will receive a base device ID on its own, thus severing the dependency of the original primary image.
If you do not follow this recommendation and if the cloned primary image is deregistered because of inactivity and policy settings, sensors on the VDIs will be uninstalled and the VDIs will be unprotected.
Create Multiple Golden or Primary Images
This section provides general steps to follow when creating (cloning) multiple golden or primary images.
- Clone the golden or primary image.
- Start the cloned image device.
- Log in to the Carbon Black Cloud console.
- Click Inventory > Endpoints or click Inventory > VM Workload.
- Verify that the cloned image has a different DeviceID from the original image.
Note: If the cloned image does not have a different DeviceID, run the
RepCLI reregister nowcommand on the cloned image and then verify that it has a new DeviceID.
- Uninstall the sensor from the cloned image.
Note: Do not uninstall the sensor if the cloned image device does not have a different DeviceID.
- Install the sensor on the cloned image device.