In this step, you deploy a cloud proxy to a vCenter server in a specified VMware Cloud on AWS Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC).
You can create a cloud proxy before you create a cloud account or during the process of creating a cloud account. Here, you'll create the cloud proxy first as a separate step. Later, you'll create a cloud account and choose this cloud proxy as part of that process.
Unless otherwise indicated, the step values that you enter in this procedure are for this example workflow only.
- This procedure assumes that you have VMware Cloud on AWS CloudAdmin credentials for the target SDDC in vCenter. See Credentials for Cloud Assembly cloud accounts.
- This procedure assumes that you have the cloud administrator user role. See What are the Cloud Assembly user roles.
- Verify that the required SDDC gateway firewall rules are configured in the VMware Cloud on AWS console. The gateway firewall rules enable the cloud proxy VA to communicate with the VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC. See Configure a basic VMware Cloud on AWS workflow in Cloud Assembly.
- To support the cloud proxy, whitelist access to the following domains is required. For more information about the cloud proxy, see Understanding the VMware Cloud services cloud proxy.
- ci-data-collector.s3.amazonaws.com – enables Amazon Web Services S3 access for cloud proxy OVA download.
- symphony-docker-external.jfrog.io - allows JFrog Artifactory to access Docker images.
- data.mgmt.cloud.vmware.com - enables the data pipeline service connection to VMware Cloud services for secure data communication between cloud and on-premises elements. For non-US regions, substitute the region value. For example, for the UK, use uk.data.mgmt.cloud.vmware.com.
- api.mgmt.cloud.vmware.com – enables the Web API and cloud proxy service connection to the VMware Cloud service. For non-US regions, substitute the region value. For example, for the UK, use uk.api.mgmt.cloud.vmware.com.
- Log in to Cloud Assembly and click .
- Click New Cloud Proxy to open the Install Cloud Proxy OVF deployment page.
- Click Download OVA.
The supplied VMware-Cloud-Services-Data-Collector.ova file is downloaded.
- Rename the downloaded OVA vCenter1_vmc_va.ova.
- Navigate to your vSphere Web Client data center, click the name of your vCenter cluster, and select Deploy OVF Template.
- Enter the vCenter1_vmc_va.ova OVA file name and location as prompted.
- When asked to enter the key or token, return to the Install Cloud Proxy page and click Copy.
- Return to the vSphere Web Client and paste the copied key value as prompted to run the cloud proxy virtual appliance.
- In Cloud Assembly, wait for a connection to be made with your vSphere Web Client and then click Done.
It might take several minutes to connect.
What to do next
To verify that the cloud proxy is running, see Verify that a cloud proxy is running on a target virtual machine.
You can now create the VMware Cloud on AWS cloud account. See Create a VMware Cloud on AWS cloud account in Cloud Assembly within a sample workflow.