In the VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance management interface, you can upgrade from VMware Cloud Director Availability 4.0 to the latest version by specifying an online or a local repository that contains the upgrade binaries.
- If the network restricts the appliances online Internet access, prepare a local repository with the upgrade files.
- To host the upgrade files inside the internal network, install and configure a local Web server.
- Download the VMware-Cloud-Director-Availability-release.number.xxxxxxx-build_sha.iso file, that contains the VMware Cloud Director Availability release.number Upgrade Disk Image.
- To access the image file contents, mount the downloaded .iso file to a local computer.
- Copy the update directory to the local Web server.
The update directory contains the manifest files and the dnf subdirectory.
- Log in to the management interface of the VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance.
- In a Web browser, go to https://On-Prem-Appliance-IP-address/ui/admin.
- Log in as the root user.
- In the left pane, click Configuration.
- Under Version, next to Product version click Check for updates.
- Upgrade the VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance by completing the Update wizard.
Note: Proceed with the upgrade only after taking a snapshot of the VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance.
The VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance automatically restarts.
- In the Repository page, select Use Specified Repository.
- In the Repository URL text box, specify the repository URL address and click Next.
- If the appliance has Internet access, enter https://packages.vmware.com/vcav/4.1/.
- Alternatively, enter the URL address of the local repository pointing to the update/dnf directory of the local Web server. For example, enter http://local-Web-server-address/update/dnf.
- In the Available updates page, select an update and click Next.
- In the EULA Review page, to accept the end-user license agreement click Next.
- In the Ready for update page, click Finish and wait for the installation process to finish.
- After the appliance restarts, verify that the upgrade is successful.
When the upgrade process finishes, in the left pane in System Tasks, you might see a red Update task that failed with messages like Operation aborted due to an unexpected error or Task aborted due to service reboot, while the upgrade is successful.
- Connect to the appliance console either by using a Secure Shell (SSH) client or by using the appliance console in the vSphere Client and log in as the root user.
- Open the upgrade log file.
- Verify that the upgrade log finishes with the following log entry.
The upgrade was successful! Scheduling reboot in 15 seconds.
What to do next
After you upgrade the VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance, complete the upgrade with a post-upgrade configuration. For more information, see Post-Upgrade Configuration On-Premises.