You restore the VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance, by deploying a new on-premises appliance with the same network settings and by using a single locally downloaded .enc backup file.
- Verify that VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance 4.1 is installed.
- Verify that you downloaded the on-premises-backup-product_version-instance_id-date-timestampUTC.tar.bz2.enc file locally and you have the password for the backup.
- Verify that the version and the network settings of the newly deployed VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance exactly match the version and the network settings of the backed-up appliance.
- Verify that before restoring the newly deployed VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance, the existing backed-up on-premises appliance is powered off.
Caution: Restoring while the VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance is operational may corrupt the replications.
- Log in to management interface of the newly deployed VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance.
- In a Web browser, go to https://On-Premises-Appliance-IP-Address/ui/admin.
- Log in by entering the root user password that you set during the OVA deployment.
- In the VMware Cloud Director Availability Appliance Password window, change the initial root user password.
- Enter the root user password that you set during the OVA deployment.
- Enter and confirm a new password. The password that you enter must be a secured password with a minimum of eight characters and it must consist of:
- At least one lowercase letter.
- At least one uppercase letter.
- At least one number.
- At least one special character, such as & # % .
- Under Steps to restore from archive, click Import the backup archive in....
- In the Restore from backup archive window, browse for the appliance backup file, enter its password, and restore the appliance.
After the restore completes, the appliance restarts.
- Click Browse and select the locally downloaded .enc appliance backup file.
- In the Password text box, enter the password used to encrypt the backup.
- Click Restore.
The restore starts and might take a while to complete. You cannot log in to the appliance while the restore is in progress.
- (Optional) After the services start, verify that the restore is successful.
- Log in to the management interface of the newly restored appliance.
- In the left pane, click System Tasks.
After restore, the Generate backup archive task, which generated the backup archive used for the restore, shows Task aborted due to service reboot.
- Verify the Target of task.restore.backup.
There might be a misalignment between the replication settings stored in the database and the ones loaded from the backup file. As a result, you might see RPO violations, differing numbers of instances, and others, that you can resolve by reconfiguring the affected replications to reapply their replication settings.
What to do next
You can perform replication workflows and after confirming that the newly restored VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises Appliance is operational, you can decommission the backed-up appliance that is powered off.