Follow the upgrade path and choose an upgrade method that is available for the currently installed VMware Cloud Director Availability version. After following the prerequisites, choose a source repository for the upgrade files and upgrade each appliance in the cloud site, according to a specific order.
To upgrade to the latest version of VMware Cloud Director Availability in the cloud site, choose an upgrade method according to the currently installed version in the site.
|Current Version||Next Version||Available Upgrade Method|
|4.2.x or 4.3.x||4.4.x|
|4.0.x or 4.1.x||4.2.1*|
|3.0.x or 3.5.x||4.0|
|3.0||4.0||You must upgrade only by using the command-line interface, see the legacy Command-Line Upgrading procedures.|
* To upgrade to the latest version, when performing a two-step upgrade from 4.1.x or from 4.0.x, use 4.2.1 as the intermediate upgrade. For more information, see the Upgrade Path of VMware Cloud Director Availability in the VMware Product Interoperability Matrix.
- Before upgrading each VMware Cloud Director Availability appliance:
- Ensure to take snapshots and follow the order of upgrading the cloud appliances, see Upgrade Sequence.
- Ensure that you have not manually enabled the Photon repository on any of the appliances.
To verify for enabled repositories, open an SSH connection to each appliance, log in by using the root user credentials and run the following command:
yum -v repolist all | grep enabledWhen no repository is active, the command returns no result and you can proceed with the upgrade.
- Ensure that you have not installed any packages or third-party software or made any manual modifications of
- To complete the upgrade sequence follow Post-Upgrade Configuration in the Cloud.
- Attempting to upgrade from version 4.0.x directly to version 4.3 appears to proceed with the upgrade while performing no upgrade. The /var/log/upgrade.log file shows
Direct upgrades from 4.0.x are not supported! Upgrade to latest from 4.2 code line first and then you'll be able to upgrade to later versions.
To upgrade to the latest version of VMware Cloud Director Availability in the cloud site, you can configure each appliance to download the upgrade files from one of the following source repositories.
|An ISO image||Use an upgrade ISO file mounted in the virtual appliance CD-ROM drive for environments where the network restricts the appliances online Internet access.|
|A specified repository||To upgrade multiple appliances or after deploying the appliances in different datastores, specify a repository as a content source:
Note: Cannot upgrade by selecting the option Official Online Repository in the management interface of versions 4.0.x since Apr 2021.
To upgrade by using their management interface, either select an ISO image or specify a repository.