On-premises sites or the clients L2 VPN require a VMware® NSX Edge™ appliance configured as an autonomous edge. Once deployed in the on-premises site, the On-Premises to Cloud Director Replication Appliance starts managing the NSX Autonomous Edge after you register it on-premises.
To complete the L2 stretch configuration entirely by using the management interface of the On-Premises to Cloud Director Replication Appliance, after deploying the NSX Autonomous Edge in the on-premises site you register it by using the On-Premises to Cloud Director Replication Appliance.
- Verify that VMware Cloud Director Availability 4.2 or later is successfully deployed.
- Verify that the On-Premises to Cloud Director Replication Appliance is paired with a cloud site. All L2 stretch settings on-premises enable only after pairing with a cloud site as the On-Premises to Cloud Director Replication Appliance must browse the virtual machines.
- Verify that an NSX Edge appliance is deployed on-premises, selected as an autonomous edge and configured with passwords for the root and the admin users that meet the complexity requirements. For more information, see Deploy an NSX Autonomous Edge Appliance On-Premises.
- Log in to the management interface of the VMware Cloud Director Availability On-premises Appliance.
- In a Web browser, go to https://On-Premises-Appliance-IP-address/ui/admin.
- Log in as the root user.
- In the left pane, under the System section click L2 Stretch.
- On the NSX Autonomous edges page, click New.
- In the Register a New NSX Autonomous Edge window, register the new NSX Autonomous Edge with the On-Premises to Cloud Director Replication Appliance.
- In the Name text box, enter a friendly name for the new NSX Autonomous Edge.
- From the vCenter Server drop-down menu, select thevCenter Server instance hosting the NSX Autonomous Edge virtual machine.
- Under NSX Autonomous Edge VMs, select the virtual machine of the newly deployed NSX Autonomous Edge.
- In the Management Address text box, enter the URL for the NSX Autonomous Edge management.
- In the User name and Password text boxes, enter the admin user credentials for the NSX Autonomous Edge management.
- (Optional) In the Description text box, enter a description for this NSX Autonomous Edge.
- To register the NSX Autonomous Edge for management, click Register.
The On-Premises to Cloud Director Replication Appliance registered the new NSX Autonomous Edge for L2 stretch management.
What to do next
You can now configure the networks of the newly registered NSX Autonomous Edge by using the On-Premises to Cloud Director Replication Appliance. For more information, see Configure the Networks of the NSX Autonomous Edge On-Premises.