Follow the upgrade path and choose an upgrade method that is available for the currently installed VMware Cloud Director Availability version. After following the prerequisites, choose a source repository for the upgrade files and upgrade each appliance in the Cloud Director site, according to a specific order.
To upgrade to the latest version of VMware Cloud Director Availability in Cloud Director sites, choose an upgrade method according to the currently installed version in the site.
|Available Upgrade Method
|4.4.x or 4.5.x
|4.3.x or 4.4.x
|4.2.x or 4.3.x
|4.0.x or 4.1.x
|3.0.x or 3.5.x
|You must upgrade only by using the command-line interface, see the legacy Command-Line Upgrading procedures.
- Interoperability with paired peer sites running earlier VMware Cloud Director Availability versions:
- For information about interoperability between paired sites that run mismatching versions of VMware Cloud Director Availability, see Paired sites versions interoperability.
- Before upgrading each VMware Cloud Director Availability appliance:
- Ensure to take snapshots and follow the order of upgrading the cloud appliances, see Appliances upgrade sequence and snapshots.
- Ensure that you have not manually enabled the Photon repository on any of the appliances.
To verify for enabled repositories, open an SSH connection to each appliance, log in by using the root user credentials and run the following command:
yum -v repolist all | grep enabledWhen no repository is active, the command returns no result and you can proceed with the upgrade.
- Ensure that you have not installed any packages or third-party software or made any manual modifications of
- To complete the upgrade sequence follow Post-upgrade configuration in the Cloud Director site.
To upgrade to the latest version of VMware Cloud Director Availability in the cloud site, you can configure each appliance to download the upgrade files from one of the following source repositories.
|An ISO image
|Use an upgrade ISO file mounted in the virtual appliance CD-ROM drive for environments where the network restricts the appliances online Internet access.
|A specified repository
|To upgrade multiple appliances or after deploying the appliances in different datastores, specify a repository as a content source: