VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension 1.0 | 18 JUL 2019 | Build 14161748
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
What's in the Release NotesThe release notes cover the following topics:
- About VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension
- Supported Browsers
- Caveats and Limitations
- Product Documentation
- Known Issues
VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension allows VMware Cloud Director users to consume and operate S3-compliant object storage service that is fully integrated into VMware Cloud Director. VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension integrates with VMware Cloud Director and industry leading object storage vendors to enable STaaS for service providers and their tenants. It provides you with the capability to store and share unstructured data within your VMware Cloud Director organization.
Using VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension you can store the following data types:
- Media files (images, audio, and video)
- Static Web content (HTML, CSS, JS, ICO)
- Read-only documents (PDF)
- VMware Cloud Director objects like vApps and Catalogs
VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension also enables backup and archiving use-cases by leveraging VMware Cloud Director integrations with data protection vendors.
Following is a list of the capabilities that are available through VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension:
- Native tenant user interface that is fully integrated with VMware Cloud Director
- CRUD operations for buckets and objects
- Share files/objects including vApps and catalogs
- Apply tags and metadata to objects and buckets
- vApp and Catalog operations
- Server-Side Encryption
- Application and user level security
- Creating tenant allowlists for service providers
- S3 compatible APIs
VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension is compatible with Internet Explorer 11 and the current and last major versions of the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
S3 API requests authenticated with application credentials do not support the following use cases:
- Accessing a shared bucket if another user grants you permissions fot the bucket.
- Deleting multiple objects simultaneously with a single API request.
- Restriction on copying objects from buckets that you own.
In addition to the current release notes, you can use the VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension documentation set at https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Cloud-Director-Object-Storage-Extension/index.html.
- You cannot update the metadata of an object in a shared bucket from the user interface of VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension.
Sporadically, if you upload an object to a shared bucket, you cannot update the metadata of this object from the user interface of VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension.
Workaround: To work around the issue, use an S3 API request to upload the object to the shared bucket and set the metadata values in the headers of the API request.