You can add external Kubernetes clusters for backup in VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension.
- Verify that the Kubernetes version is 1.16 or above.
- Verify that the primary node's IP is reachable from the VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension backend server.
- Verify that the S3 endpoint can be reached by the external cluster's pod.
- Log in to the VMware Cloud Director tenant portal.
- From the More drop-down menu, select Object Storage.
- Click Kubernetes Clusters and then Unprotected Clusters.
- Click Add External Cluster.
- Enter a name for the cluster.
- Click Select File and select the kubconfig file.
- Click Save.
The external cluster is added under Unprotected Clusters.
What to do next
You must activate the protection to create a backup of the cluster that you added -Backing Up Kubernetes Clusters.