With the object lock feature, you prevent objects from being deleted from a bucket. You activate the feature at the bucket level during the bucket creation, but can edit the object lock configuration at the object level.
If you are using Dell EMC ECS, working with the object lock feature is impossible. The Dell EMC ECS does not support the object lock feature.
Verify that you have the required set of rights to edit the object lock configuration.
- If you are an organization administrator, you can edit the objects lock configuration for objects that users in your organization own.
- If you are an organization user, you can edit the objects lock configuration for objects, if you are the owner of the bucket that stores the object.
- Verify that the object lock feature is active for the bucket that stores the object that you want to edit. If the feature is not activated during the creation of the bucket that stores the object, you cannot edit the object lock configuration for the object.
- Log in to the VMware Cloud Director tenant portal.
- From the More drop-down menu, select Object Storage.
- In the Buckets pane, navigate to the bucket or folder that stores the object that you want to edit.
- Click the name of the object that you want to edit.
- On the Properties tab, click Edit in the Object Lock card.
- Select the retention mode and enter the retention period.
Option Description Governance Mode A user with specific permissions can preview the retention policy. Compliance Mode The retention policy is not displayed to any user. No Retention Does not require the selection of a retention period. If you select this option, you can define the retention period later.
- Select the check box to activate legal hold and click Save.
Legal hold prevents the object from being deleted after the retention period expires.