You can copy objects from one bucket to another by using the VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension tenant portal.
If you are an organization administrator and you copy an object owned by one user to a bucket that another user owns, the owner of the destination bucket is permanently granted with Read of Object permissions on the source object.
- If you are an organization administrator, you can copy objects that users in your organization own.
- If you are an organization user, you must be the owner of the object, or the owner must assign Read of Object permissions on the object to your user account. To copy objects to buckets that other users own, use VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension API Reference.
- Log in to the VMware Cloud Director tenant portal.
- From the More drop-down menu, select Object Storage.
- In the Buckets pane, navigate to the bucket or folder that stores the object that you want to copy.
- Select the objects that you want to copy.
- From the Actions drop-down menu, select Copy to.
- Select the destination bucket.
- If you use AWS S3, you can optionally change the storage class for the object.
The following table describes the storage classes and the corresponding use cases.
Option Description Standard Default storage class. Best fit for general-purpose storage of frequently accessed data. Reduced Redundancy Provides the option to store noncritical, reproducible data at lower levels of redundancy than the standard storage. Glacier Best fit for short and mid-term archives. Standard Infrequent Access (IA) Best fit for long-lived and less frequently accessed data. One Zone IA Best fit for long-lived and less frequently accessed data that you store in a single zone. Intelligent Tiering Best fit for data with unknown or changing access patterns. Glacier Deep Archive Best fit for long-term archiving purposes.
- Select whether you want to overwrite the objects with the same name.
By default, VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension overwrites files with the same name.
- Confirm that you understand the effect of copying an object and click Copy.