You can invite an existing AWS user account to start using VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension.
Inviting an AWS user to VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension requires actions on both the cloud provider and the AWS account owner sides. The cloud provider sends an invitation to the AWS account owner. The invitation is communicated to the AWS account over email and within the AWS Console.
After the AWS account owner accepts the invitation, and performs the required actions in the AWS Console, VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension verifies if:
- The invited account authorized the AWS payer account to provision the invited account.
- The invited account is authorized to use AWS S3.
- Log in to the VMware Cloud Director cloud provider admin portal.
- From the More drop-down menu, select Object Storage.
- On the Tenants tab, click the name of the tenant organization to which you want to invite an AWS user.
- In the storage platform card, click Manage Account.
- Select Invite Account and click Next.
- Enter the AWS account ID and the account email.
- (Optional) Enter a note to the invitation.
- Click Invite.
An invitation is sent to the user in the AWS Console and a notification with instructions is sent over email. The invitation is active for 15 days. If the user does not accept or reject the invitation during the period, the invitation automatically canceled.The invitation that is sent to the account contains instructions for acceptance. To use VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension with AWS S3, the owner of the invited AWS account must do the following three actions in the AWS Console:
Once the user completes the actions, VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension verifies and automatically activates the AWS user account. The tenant can start using VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension with AWS S3.
- Accept the invitation.
- Allow the AWS payer account to provision additional roles to the invited account. For more information see Creating the OrganizationAccountAccessRole in an invited member account.
- Activate AWS S3.
- (Optional) While waiting for a response from the tenant user, you can perform the following three actions:
- To get the latest status of the invitation from AWS, click Sync Status.
- To send a reminder to the invited account over email, click Remind by email.
Your default email client opens with a predefined email template that you can send to the tenant user. You can edit the text of the email as required.
- To cancel the invitation, click Cancel Invitation.