By capturing a vApp, you copy all data that the vApp consumes to VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension. By capturing a vApp, you create a backup copy of the data that the vApp contains. You can later restore the vApp back to its original location or download the vApp locally for archiving purposes.
By capturing a vApp, you do not copy the storage reservation from VMware Cloud Director to VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension.
You can capture up to 10 vApps simultaneously.
- Verify that you have the required set of rights to capture vApps.
- If you are an organization administrator, you have all required VMware Cloud Director rights to manage vApps.
- If you are an organization user, verify that you have the vApp: View VM Metrics and vApp: Download rights assigned to your user account in VMware Cloud Director.
- Verify that the vApp you want to capture is powered off.
- Log in to the VMware Cloud Director tenant portal.
- From the More drop-down menu, select Object Storage.
- In the vApps pane, click Capture from data center.
- Select the vApps that you want to capture and click Next.
- (Optional) Enter different names for the vApps and enter a description.
- Click Capture from data center.