To improve the categorization of objects in VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension, bucket owners can optionally add tags to individual objects. As a bucket owner, you can also add properties to objects by adding user-defined metadata. Both the object tags and the object metadata represent a key-value pair.
If you use the Cloudian HyperStore storage platform, you can add tags to your objects. The ECS storage platform does not support tagging.
Important: Adding metadata to an object overwrites the original object and resets permissions and other associations for the object.
You cannot edit the metadata of bucket log objects owned by the System Logger account.
- Verify that you have the required set of rights to add tags to an object.
- If you are an organization administrator, you can add tags to objects that users in your organization own.
- If you are an organization user, you can add tags to objects, if you are the owner of the bucket that stores the object.
- Verify that you have the required set of rights to edit the metadata of an object.
- If you are an organization administrator, to add metadata to an object, make sure that the object owner has Write of Bucket permissions on the bucket that stores the object.
- If you are an organization user, to add metadata to an object, you must be the object owner and your user account must have Write of Bucket permissions.
- Log in to the VMware Cloud Director tenant portal.
- From the More drop-down menu, select Object Storage.
- In the Buckets pane, navigate to the bucket or folder that stores the object that you want to edit.
- Click the name of the object that you want to edit.
- Add a tag to the object
- Click the link in the Tags section.
- Enter a key-value for the tag.
- Click Save.
- Add metadata to the object.
- Click the link in the Metadata section.
- Enter a key-value for the metadata entry.
- To indicate that you understand the effect of adding metadata to an object, select the check box.
- Click Save.